Zita - Westland, Michigan

I Can Make A Difference!

Romans 12 : 6 – 8

We have different gifts, according to the grace given to each of us. If your gift is prophesying, then prophesy in accordance with your faith; if it is serving, then serve; if it is teaching, then teach; if it is to encourage, then give encouragement; if it is giving, then give generously; if it is to lead, do it diligently; if it is to show mercy, do it cheerfully.

I have to say I was definitely given the gift of serving. It’s a natural high that I cannot get enough of! The more I serve others the happier I am and the more I want to keep on doing it! I believe doing the little things I can makes a difference!

I once took out 2 little boys to the movies, who had recently moved to this country from Romania. They have never been to the movies before and they loved it! I took them to see “Cars” and bought them popcorn and soda. While we were in line to buy the junk food, Albert, the older boy about 8 years old, told me the size of the screen playing above was the biggest he’d ever seen. I told him, “Just wait until you see the screen inside!” When we got into the room they couldn’t believe the size!

We sat down and Albert wouldn’t eat his popcorn while the previews were playing. I asked him why he wasn’t eating and he said that he didn’t want to until the movie started because he was afraid there wouldn’t be enough. I laughed and told him to go ahead and eat, there are free refills! He got so excited!

This isn’t the first time I have done something nice for someone “Just because.” The feeling I get from helping out or making someone’s day is indescribable. I feel so good, so happy, and I feel like I count…like I can make a difference in such a depressing world.

I don’t exactly make a lot of money, and to top that off I am a full-time student. But when Christmas rolled around last year I felt compelled to buy a $50 gift card to a local grocery store for the same family. My mom had asked me to drop off some Christmas decorations to them so I snuck in the gift card with the decorations and the small gifts I bought the two boys. So what if I don’t buy the CD I wanted, or the slacks I was admiring, I can always get them later, but for the boys to have Christmas is priceless!

I remember a few years ago I was asked to pick up a few applications for my cousin, who couldn’t drive, and drop them off at her house. At first I didn’t want to because it was my only day off that week and I wanted to do something nice with my boyfriend instead of walk around in the death of winter for my cousin! But, I went with my boyfriend and we got as many applications as we could around the area she lived, dropped them off, and the next week I picked her up and dropped the applications off with her. She did get a job and it was mainly because I sacrificed my “precious” time. Knowing that because of my actions a dramatic change was made in the life of someone else for the good and it gave me such a great feeling!

I am inspired by God’s word to serve others. I may not be able to change the world, but I know I can make a difference. These small actions are so much more to the people it effects! By using what God has blessed me with I am able to bring happiness and joy to others, to give them hope in a better world and faith in mankind’s goodness.