Suzanne - Marietta, Georgia

I believe in life! Many people have probably had my experience, but in case you haven’t, here’s mine: I am now at the Cleveland Clinic, seeking treatment for my oldest brother, Frank. We hope to save his foot! A heavy smoker and former alcoholic, Frank’s arteries are all clogged up – – his foot is purple. Frank lives in Buffalo, NY, I live in Atlanta. Through lots of phone calls and endless pleading, he is being treated here in Cleveland —- surgery today —-and more surgery tomorrow!

The surreal thing is that 28 years ago, I was a patient here, presenting one Friday morning with a lump on my neck. The surgeon, a very famous one said, “You don’t want to go home and worry about this all weekend do you? Why don’t we operate today!”

You know you are in trouble when the Dr. want’s to operate the minute he meets you!

Oh, didn’t I mention that at the time I had 4 children under the age of six! The youngest was 4 months old at the time and with me ——-I was breast feeding!

Well , by six PM the surgery was over and I knew that I had Hodgkin’s Disease. After several more weeks of staging I learned that I was lucky – — Stage IIA and highly treatable. A splenectomy and radiation treatments behind me and I was back to life – – – well, actually not that easy.

But now 28 years later – – -I am back at this place with my brother. I am now a grandmother. The baby I was breastfeeding is an attractive young school teacher, madly in love with her own beau.

And I am back at this place- – – -I want to shout – – I AM A CURE !

A bathroom here brings back memories: I decide not to drive down the street where the radiation treatments happened; they still have parking for – – – radiation patients only.

I REVELLE IN MY LIFE! I thank God that I am here to help Frank, now in ICU, maybe another miracle will happen – – – – They took him to surgery – – early – – not Tuesday, as expected, but today Saturday and tomorrow more surgery early again – – -I believe in life!