I believe that Sisters are forever

Melissa - St. Louis, Missouri

While having an older sister can be a trial. I would not change a thing. When having a sister one learns that the fight for the bathroom will never end and that it could be hours before you get it. Arguing about clothes is something to be cherished. Fighting is natural. I am always right and my sister is always wrong. Annoying friends are something you just have to deal with, and possession is nine tenths of the law.

When we were younger, my sister and I did not get along at all. Needless to say, she bossed me around and she could not even talk yet. But I found ways to retaliate. Still, when we found ourselves buckled into car seats we communicated in our own language; and I think we understood everything that was said between us. We knew at the age of two and three, never and I mean never under any circumstances admit to anything that you can blame on one another. My parents never figured out who was responsible for the many disasters that always seemed to be happening in our household.

As we grew up and got older, my sister and I both changed. We liked different things, hung out with completely different people, and sometimes we could not bear the sight of one another. Through it, all our relationship became stronger, if not unbreakable. Today my sister and I are still the same as we were when we were two and three. My sister and I know what each other is thinking; we can communicate our thoughts with just a look. A couple of months ago my sister, mom, and I were walking through the parking lot. Since my sister has a car, I decided to go with her so we started towards her car. My mom calls out, “Both of you stand up straight!” Simultaneously, my sister and I both hunch over, to my mom’s dismay. This is only one of the few examples that shows how close we are. Sometimes it seems that we might be spending just a little too much time together.

I know many of you probably think that having a sibling is torture; but I will be the first to admit that I am happy, if not lucky to have a sister. After everything is said and done its nice to have someone who understands what is going on in my life and who has been through some of the same things. As the years go by your parents will leave, friends and friendships will come and go, but sisters are forever.