Neha - Lansdale, Pennsylvania

What does it mean to be passionate about something or to have a passion in life? Is it a means to living a more fulfilling, meaningful life?

Whenever I hear the word passion, it evokes very powerful, emotional feelings, and it seems like everyone has passions these days. Lexus has a passion for perfection. At a recent social gathering, I heard people speak of their passions in life ranging from staying fit and healthy to traveling around the world, to simply enjoying various ethnic cuisines. As I heard them speak and heard them describe how they have made efforts to fulfill these specific passions, I began to wonder about what my passions in life were. I began to question if I was leading a fulfilling life because at the moment I could not define my passions in life.

Not knowing the true definition of the word, to me passion meant much more than doing what you enjoyed or got pleasure from. Later I began to ponder if having a passion in life was synonymous with having a purpose in life. Is everyone passionate about something in his life, and is it a means to living a more meaningful, fulfilling, and successful life?

I believe we all have passions in life whether explicitly stated or not, whether tangible or not or whether long standing or newly realized. I also believe that our passions in life are defined through our life experiences and continue to evolve and change, as does our personality. In essence, it encompasses strong emotions that drives us, is the catalyst that makes life experiences more purposeful. I believe that these passions are dynamic and integral part of our different stages in life from pre-adolescent to middle age to old age.

So my passion when I was in college is no longer the same as my passion today. My passion is to stay young through learning and self-improvement. My cultural upbringing, my religion and my career all play a vital role in helping me pursue my passion. Alas, I may have found my fountain of youth.