Belief Can be a Real Source of Pain

Reginald - Smyrna, Georgia

Have you ever heard the phrase, “Perception is Reality?” I’ve heard it all too often but never realized the magnitude of pain that could be caused by a figment of one’s imagination. I’ve heard the word perception defined as one’s mind getting the best of them, which completely removes any blame or responsibility from the source. Until a person experiences perception in the form of their worst fear becoming reality, they may not ever define a source.

For the last four years, I’ve been in fear of my perception becoming a harsh reality. I’ve always considered myself to be a pretty strong person emotionally due to many adverse conditions. The birth of my baby girl made me as hard as a rock while simultaneously making me as soft as your finest cotton. Until my daughter was born, I was simply a man who’s “perception” of life was skewed. The minute she was placed in my arms for the first time, my mind started going places it had never been. My heart felt heavier than it had ever felt. My outlook on life and not only what it has to offer, but what I have to offer, was broadened. Why? Because the source of my perception was a complete miracle in the form of ten fingers and ten toes.

I’ve experienced just what level of control perception can have on a true father’s approach to life. If he is manipulated into perceiving that his beloved offspring could be removed from his life with the snap of a finger, perception becomes reality real quick. The stakes become extremely high, and who in their right mind would gamble with the life that made them whole. Pain is then inflicted on a daily basis, not by words, actions, objects, but mere thoughts of what life would be like without the one representation of yourself. There’s nothing more gut wrenching, disheartening, and emotionally draining than facing the source of this perception on a daily basis.

What you believe can make you or break you. It may be reality; however, it may not. None the less, your perception can only be as strong as the source it comes from. Recognize the source of a negative perception and you’ll be much more likely to create a positive reality.