Tracy - Mattawan, Michigan
Themes: family, gratitude

I believe that family is the answer to everything.

I grew up in a family situation unfamiliar to most. Having a brother with Muscular Dystrophy, extra hands were always needed. My immediate family, mom, dad, brother and I, were not always enough. Not only were we very close, but my extended family, aunts, uncles, cousins, and grandma, were always there. We were a clan of our own, all 12 of us and sometimes more. We took family vacations together, shared holidays, and even hospital visits. Family is my backbone…this I believe.

I had my share of sad, scared, and heartbreaking moments growing up. Because some of the experiences I would have to endure as a young child were less than pleasant, for each one of those unpleasant moments, my family created 1,000 good moments. For my brother and me, my entire family’s goal was to keep life as normal, fun, and happy as possible. With a families understanding, support, and unconditional love you can get through anything…this I believe.

I look back on my childhood years and smile. Bad things happened but there are so many good. I try to raise my daughter the way I was raised, with as much family around us as possible. I miss those that are no longer with us but cherish the additions to our family. We still have large family holidays and every family vacation includes my parents. Family is the essence of happiness…this I believe.

The person I am, the successes I have achieved, and the love I offer others is a reflection of my family. My mother has taught me to be a loving, caring, helpful, thoughtful and just individual. Though, in my eyes, I have not measured up to her, I hope to teach these important traits to my daughter. And no matter what mistakes she makes, I will lover her unconditionally. Just as my mother loved me and her mother loved her. I am and have always been thankful that god chose to give me my family.

I say that family is everything because they have formed who I am today. I believe the old saying “Blood is thicker than water”. No one I have ever known would go the lengths for me as my family has. So, love your family, teach them to grow, and forgive them for their faults. Family is the answer to everything…this I believe.