Jeffery - Albuquerque, New Mexico

A Pinch for Perspective

On father’s day June 17, 2007, I playfully pinched my nine year old daughter’s nose. From her reaction, you would have thought I had torn it off. I became public enemy number one. Both my ex-wife and I tried to tell her she was over reacting. However it made me think of a time when my ex wife used to tell me when I gave her a small swat on the butt it hurt her and she has experienced different levels of pain in her forty-two years including obviously child birth. I would say it did not and she would tell me not to tell her how she felt and she was right because I did not know what physical discomfort she felt and I believe one person’s slight pain is another’s terrible pain depending on each person’s perspective.

I have been through many life threatening accidents and situations and therefore have a distinct and different perspective of pain. I have had thirty-eight years of experience and many types of pain. I have had the terrible benefit of being thrown through the windshield of a car at ninety miles per hour and of having my face burned off from three hundred and thirty-three degree road asphalt. I now know what excruciating long occurring pain feels like. I hold those painful memories close as to learn from them and help protect my children from ever having to hopefully go through it themselves.

My daughter has had only nine years of life experience and pain from scraped knees and a partial fracture of her hand. Her experience to these things is new and hopefully she is learning from them but has the benefit of youth to try and hold her innocence. In my opinion; she has not had to endure or experience great or long lasting pain. I hope she never does but she is still young and her experiences are just starting.

I tried to teach my daughter a lesson about her over reaction and she chose not to spend time with me and we both missed out on an opportunity due to my not thinking. I did not only hurt my daughter but I tried to tell her she was wrong but she was not and I was wrong for pinching her nose and basically telling her it did not hurt and to get over it. I did this without thinking and we tell our children to think before they act. I believe we should all try to put things in perspective and think before we do on all things big or small. A simple pinch has rippling effects.