LInda - Conyers, Georgia

This I Believe…I can make a difference, some how, some way, every day.

For example, today I watched the sunrise with my husband as we sat in the garden sipping our morning coffee, me, as always, laughing at his corny jokes. We shared a special moment as a mother deer, accompanied by her spotted fawn, came out of the woods. The fawn fearlessly pranced over to us. The mother, seeking to have her baby return to her side safely, lifted her leg and the baby rushed back to take nourishment. The mother then quickly took the baby and fled to the safety of the woods. What a delight.

This afternoon, my grandniece came over. It was her first day in first grade. She seemed unduly concerned that one of her classmates had worn the same dress that she had worn that day. She suddenly burst into tears, saying that some of the kids had made fun of her because her skin was a lighter color that the girl who had the same dress. Reminded of Dr. Martin Luther King’s I Have A Dream Speech, I gathered her into my arms and said, “We are not judged by the color of our skin, but by the strength of who we are. Don’t ever forget that baby.”

This evening, my son, the Geosciences major, asked me to read his master’s thesis. I did, every word of it. I told him, “Honey, the writing is really pretty, but I don’t understand a word of it.” He laughed right out loud saying, “That’s what I was going for.”

Yesterday, I went to get my hair cut and my beautician gave me a hug as I was leaving, telling me she was so glad she was able to end her day with my pleasant company. The day before that, a coworker told me how glad he was that I had joined the company, saying I had been “prayed into the job to help them”. Gee, that one was kind of hard to handle. The day before that, I had agreed to be a co-presenter with my daughter at the Administrative Assistants Association next month on “Career Renewal”. What a thrill to partner with my daughter as we bring perspectives from two generations.

Interestingly, last week I jogged two miles and drank 64 ounces of water every day. I even ate oatmeal each morning, but slipped when I couldn’t resist my neighbor’s homemade chocolate ice cream; after all, it is his specialty.

My reflections remind me that making a difference, for family, for others or for self, does not need to be on the magnitude of “ending world hunger”. Rather, it can be as simple as the joyful things I share with all of you in my essay, for this is how I make a difference and how I will surely be remembered.

Hmmmm…I wonder what difference I will make tomorrow?

Copyright L.Breeden July 2007