Michael - North Hollywood, California

When I heard about “This I Believe” and listened to several essay’s…I realized I too had something to share… I grew up in the South Bronx and when I was a young boy I had to teach myself to ride a bike…to swim…and to play musical instruments…and I had to pay for all those experiences and whatever was needed to do…which forced me to learn to, “do what you can, with what you have, where you are”…(Theodore Roosevelt) I didn’t know that expression till years later …but I had a intuition…about how I observed others who succeeded…and it seemed that they just did the best they could until they could get a shot…that preparedness would make the opportunity a destination…not a haphazard chance…So, I believe that self-education and it’s profound value is that you can do anything you want to do…but you have to be willing to do whatever it takes…you have to follow your passions…and that will not only lead you in a direction of growth but of personal fulfillment…there in lies the key to happiness…doing what makes you happy…even if you have to learn something new all the time…I worked for a man who was very smart about buying and selling…it was a great lesson…watching him negotiate with customers who had a lot of money…and I remembered what he taught me…but I taught him something even more valuable after I realized he was a terrible listener…I discovered that as he spoke the clients would ask if he had this…or that…and he would say no…but I have this…and talk them into a sale…he would think he did really well…but I knew that had he asked them what they really wanted and was able to make it that they would pay much more. And they did…I increased the sales of that company by 1,000 % …that is a fact …so, what I have learned about learning was to see how you could improve what looked very impressive and finding a new insight to make it better…and by having to teach myself I developed the patience to look at every possible angle…not the easy way…but the way that would bring the highest rewards…and the most satisfaction and challenge. I started at that company with 20 employees…when I left there were close to 250 employees.

So, I believe it’s a “WONDERFUL LIFE” (like the Capra Film) if you want it to be…and you do the work…

As I write this essay …I am about to achieve another great dream…having once more driven my self to learn…Last year I started my own Film Company…I am completing 2 Feature Films…before I started the full length features I shot over 700 short films…these were demo reels and short films…all original material that I wrote…I Won some Awards and knew…that the hard work…the training and the learning always get you to the next level. I also knew that building your own company will allow you to work towards a vision that has your own personal mark…which makes the next level of learning even more exciting…because now the company you work for is your own…that is a very big lesson…that you can only know when you build it. And when you the word that expresses it best is Accomplishment …it is a big word because you have to do a lot more to really accomplish what you set out to do…and that is what makes life worth living…the Journey…as we have heard many times before…and I believe it’s true…so never be afraid to learn anything because it will only improve you life…So…I believe that if you can not afford to go to school…don’t be afraid to pick up a book or learn from those around you who know what you need to do to become able to not only survive but to do the things in life that fulfill your dreams…whatever they are.