Rachel - Lincoln, Nebraska

I believe learning from perspectives in different relationships is important in raising children. As a mother of three, I realize the necessities of obtaining perspective in every situation. “Because everything I do reflects values learned from you, any wrong that I right, any heart I may brighten, any gift that I share, or burden I may lighten, is in its own small way a tribute to you”, so eloquently stated by David L Weatherford. Parenting is an art to be perfected over time. From child, to parenting children, we learn about ourselves, and others every step of the way.

Mothers and fathers are role models, with every action they take and every word spoken. When I was pregnant with my daughter, Natalie, I was playing with my three-year-old son, Gabriel. He was trying to kick my stomach, in a purely innocent way, and I said, “No, don’t kick my baby!” He stopped, and a few weeks passed. My stepson, Noah was playing with Gabriel, and they were play-fighting. Noah accidentally kicked Gabriel in the stomach. No sooner did I look up, and Gabriel comes crying, “Noah kicked my baby!” I got a good chuckle, and realized that he listens and remembers everything I say, and believes the same follows for himself as well.

“It’s a girl”, the doctor exclaimed in the labor and delivery room. I couldn’t believe my ears. I had anticipated for months as to whether I would ever get my little girl. This was to be my third, and most likely, last child. Having a daughter is so important to me because she is an extension of myself. I see my self not only in her face, but also her playful soul. She is bright, energetic and curious about the world around her. As a daughter I always looked up to my mother for leadership and advice. As a mother, I hope to be that beacon of light my daughter seeks when she needs it the most.

Two heads are better than one. I am grateful to have a great partner by my side, my children’s father. He captured my heart while watching him play with his first son, Noah. Not all women are able to see what kind of father their husband-to-be will make. I was fortunate enough to be a part of their relationship then, and continue to be there for them now. After having my first son, Gabriel, my husband cried and said, “Now we’re a family”. He values our family. What else in life does one need?

I’ll continue go grow as a daughter, mother, wife and woman. I hope to pass on my values, morals and beliefs to my children. I will have lived a fulfilled life, when I know I did my job as a mother.