Dallas - San Ramon, California
Themes: family, illness, love

I believe in love. That simple four letter word that holds all the cures for loneliness and depression. One syllable so powerful it can change someone’s perspectives and expectations on life. A concept that is misused and abused more times than any other word in the English language. A mystery that holds a different meaning to all yet all agree it is something you need in order to qualify life.

One weekday morning I woke up to a sharp pain inside of my stomach. So immense that when I attempted to get out of bed, I immediately crashed straight to the floor. My mother overhearing the crash became concerned and ran upstairs to my room where she found me lying on the floor pale and in pain. My mother used her first reaction, which involved notifying the school that I was ill and taking me to the hospital with the help of my father carrying me down the stairs and into the car.

Once we arrived to the hospital we were directed to the ER unit, it was then that I realized how serious the matter was. My parents comforted me by taking my mind off the situation until a doctor finally arrived. That night I was relocated into a hospital ward filled with patients. My parents stayed for as long as they could as they tried to reassure me that everything would be ok yet I could see the worry through their eyes, especially my mothers.

I ended up staying at the hospital for four weeks switching my room three times. I went through three catscans, a colonoscopy, minor surgery, culture samples and over a hundred blood withdrawals. Still to this day I have no diagnosis for my symptoms that occurred in my body as well as a medical treatment. The doctors assumed I just got better over time and to this day it is still a mystery to them. Yet recently I realize it wasn’t time that cured me-it was something else.

To this day I still have images of the faces that came to visit me in the hospital as I lay their twenty pounds lighter than before I checked in. The faces of my friends, teachers, as well as my priest fill my mind. One face I will never forget was my mother’s and her concern, she did all the worrying for me in the sense that I was just left with peace. I had the will to get better, I just needed something else to embrace it and I believe it was love. Love holds a different meaning to all and to me it wasn’t a room filled with flowers or get well cards it was the faces. The faces that came to visit filled with compassion that you could see in their eyes. I believe love has the power to cure and to give someone the will to survive. That simple four-letter word holds such power that can do mysterious and beautiful things.