Amanda - Brockton, Massachusetts

What do you do when feeling hurt, sad, or even mad? I personally believe listening to music will make you feel better. What else could possibly make you feel better at hard times when you don’t want to eat; you can’t sleep or stop crying? There is not a lot of ways to cope with your feelings except listening to music.

In September of 2003 my great grandmother died. When she passed I was very sad. I felt hurt and all alone. I started listening to music. One of the songs I listened to was “Hero” by Mariah Carey. It was like she understood my pain and was helping me become stronger. Mariah states in the song that “it’s a long road when you face the world alone” and at this point in my life that was true. After listening to her song I didn’t feel alone anymore. She tells you not to give up and when you feel like hope is gone to look inside yourself and be strong. So that’s what I did and I became stronger and was able to overcome my pain.

Last year my 19 year old cousin Scottie died from overdosing on some type of drug. I think that was the hardest thing in my life to overcome. He had just moved out to Florida that summer and I hadn’t seen him while. It’s like I didn’t even get the chance to say goodbye. I was very hurt and it was hard for me to understand why he had to die so young. I started listening to a lot of slow jams just something to mellow me. It made me feel better and accept the fact that he was gone.

This past year I lost four close friends due to shootings. It hurt me and made me sad but I was so mad. It’s not like they died from a sickness or something they were killed. They were young and still had a long life ahead of them. It’s almost like they were robbed of the chance of growing and getting old. Music helped me realize that it’s okay to be mad when things happen like that. One song that I started listening to a lot after they passed was “Stole” by Kelly Rowland. It reminded me of my friends and how much I miss them. Things like this happen all the time you just can’t sit around and stay mad forever. Live your life but never forget what did happen.

Music didn’t just help me overcome my feelings about death. When me and my first love had broken up I was crushed. I was constantly crying and extremely depressed. Music opened my mind and refreshed me. I started feeling better and my self esteem went shooting back up. I listened to a lot of love songs and I learned that a lot of people get their hearts broken. These songs have stories to them and a lot of them were like mine.

Believing in music to make me feel better has helped me a lot throughout my life. From death to love and much more, music has helped me overcome many obstacles. That’s why I believe music makes you feel better when you’re feeling sad, mad, or hurt. Nothing else could possibly bring you up when you’re feeling down.