scott - danville, California
Themes: carpe diem

I believe in making memories count. I only have one chance to have a good time and do all the wild and crazy things that I want to do in my life; go down to Mexico and forget that I was even down there, jump out of a perfectly good airplane as I go skydiving, and stay up three days straight at the greatest concert imaginable. All these events or experiences are things that I may only have the opportunity to seize one time, and these moments shouldn’t go unnoticed and be taken advantage of.

A perfect example of living life to the fullest and not holding anything back was my senior trip to Oahu, Waikiki after graduating from high school. My boys and I all booked an amazing hotel room right on the beach with an ocean front view, (which was one of the greatest rooms I’ve ever stayed in), and just lived it up for about a week straight. At this point of our lives, being 17 or 18 years old, nothing mattered more to us than meeting girls. They were the entire point of the trip; ultimately every event that we planned was mixed with members of the opposite sex, which made the trip even more memorable.

Surfing was basically the only activity we took up that didn’t completely revolve around girls; just being able to relax right off the coast of an amazingly beautiful island, not having a care or worry in the world, was all we needed. But at night time, no one slept; having all us kids who graduated from different schools all out on the beach every night just having the times of our lives was unforgettable. Before the summer, we were rivals with each other. There were always different fights at different parties and they were being broken up constantly because of this. But that summer was the first time all of us were at the same place, at the same time, getting along with everyone. All of us just excited to finally start our new lives and take that first giant leap towards adulthood.

I hear all the time from my peers that, “the best memories are the one’s you don’t remember.” This meaning that the most fun we’re supposed to have is when we’re not remembering it. While this is fine every once in a while, moderation is the key. I want to enjoy my youth rather than solely partying every night with no memory of it; these may be the best times of my life and I for one don’t want to miss all of them. Not remembering all the good times that I’ve had, all the people I’ve met and laughed with, and all the connections I’ve made with that special someone, would simply be tragic.

These memories that we make now are going to determine what kind of a people we are going to be ten to twenty years down the road. For example, if I had a really awful experience in high school, and wasn’t socially accepted or always made fun of, I might not be able to develop social skills and become as personable as others. Those memories may stay with me forever and I might never end up trusting or accepting anyone into my life. That’s why memories that we make for ourselves, and the ones that we create for the people around us, should all be positive, and we should at least attempt to make them unforgettable ones, because most memories that we gain along the way to adulthood and beyond are usually shared, experienced, and remembered by many others. So let’s make our memories count.