Lindsay - Danville, California

To Live and Love

Above all things in the entire world, I believe in love. I believe that without love, there is no reason for survival. Love makes the world go around- may it be through the love you have for your family or even a passion of something. Love makes life meaningful and gives us reasons to continue on this journey. I believe that love is an ever-constant source of life. Without love, life is wasted.

Love is such an amazing thing. A quote defining the power of love states, “Love knows no boundaries, no distance, no fear” (unknown). Love is a passage, not a place to end up. Believing in love means that love can conquer all and love will never end. Love is such a remarkable thing because the love for someone can be so great that someone would do anything for that person.

One aspect of my life where I experience unconditional love is from my family. The love that I find here is one where mistakes are made and feelings are hurt, but in the end, I adore them the same. One day, I was having the worst day ever. I came home from the longest day at work and my sister came up to me and began asking me questions about borrowing some clothes from me. I yelled at her and told her not to come near my closet. Her feelings were hurt, but I was in a horrible mood therefore, I wanted to keep my distance. Fifteen minutes later I hear a knock on the door and my sister has bowl of my favorite ice cream and a note saying, “I love you.” My sister could have been just as rude to me as I was to her, but instead she went past the incident and forgave me immediately. Without the love I receive from my family, my life would not be nearly as solid and amazing as it is now.

Love can be present in not just people, but also things. One thing in life that I love is cooking. Cooking is a passion that I have, and I would not be the person I am today without it. It fulfills my life and gives me a gift that I share with others. Cooking requires much care and respect. Without love for what I am cooking, the end result would not nearly be as good. A strawberry lettuce salad is a fairly simple recipe that includes strawberries, lettuce, balsamic vinaigrette, and toasted walnuts. If I picked up any head of lettuce, any basket of strawberries, a generic bottle of dressing, and I burned the walnuts, the end result would be nothing more than a horrible salad. With thought and care, the salad turns out much better and is more enjoyable.

Without love in life, life would be nothing more than a very boring expedition. A quote that defines love states: “Love is like oxygen. Love is a many splendored thing. Love lifts us up where we belong…All you need is love!” (Moulin Rouge).