Is Success the Key to Happiness?

Anez - san ramon, California

I believe in success. I believe in taking the necessary steps in life to be successful, in surrounding myself with intelligent people with morals and values that I can relate to in order to thrive in life. I believe in education, the power of knowledge and in the struggle to acquire what I want to be. I believe in walking in the direction of my dreams.

When my father had children, he and his wife decided to break the cycle many East Indians, not most, but many followed: get married, have kids, and settle down. Many Indians struggle to financially support however many children were born and try to provide them with what they need. My grandfather had married by the age of twenty and had thirteen children. To me, my father is the most educated person I know in my family. He always strives to educate himself further. My father knew when he raised his children, he would teach them to put education first, then a career and thus opportunities would arrive their way. Everything else would follow after that according to my father. He didn’t want what had happened to him, having a family early in his life and struggling to support them with him wife. He didn’t want his children to struggle as he had. Since then, my two brothers and I work hard and strive for what we need and not accept anything less than what we deserve.

I’ve realized it’s those little things in life that lead me to accomplish what I want. For five years, I had played piano and a few times I had been asked to compose my own music and play in front of a few hundred people. It was amazing! The tight knot of anxiety completely vanished after I started to play and after I had finished, the rush of emotion came when I saw everyone clapping at my piece. Seeing more experienced people than I praising me and acknowledging my work meant a lot to me.

Of course, I believe success comes with happiness, and I will not narrow success down to just occupation. I believe success is demonstrated when people ask you what you think and attend to your answer, value it. I believe success represents a new meaning to every person; but to me, success is gaining the respect of intelligent people around me, shaping my future ahead of myself which I might add, Is a lifelong process, holding responsibilities with a high head, seeing the best in people around me, achieving whatever goal I had aimed to achieve such as having children, laughing much and loving eternally.

All my growth and development, experiences and my environment have led me to believe that if I really put my mind on being affluent, if I have solid judgment and common sense, I can be whoever I want to be.