Erin - danville, California

Throughout my life and all of the events and obstacles that I’ve been through, I’ve learned a lot and developed my own ideas on thoughts and beliefs. As I sat down to write this essay a million ideas popped into my head. But what do I really believe in…out of all the ideas it came down to one key concept; and that is that I believe everyone I’ve met throughout my life came into it for a reason and are there to serve a purpose. I believe everyone has a purpose in people’s lives.

I’ve met millions of different people who have all affected me in one way or another, whether I’ve known them for years, or for a glimpse of a minute, they’ve all touched me in different ways, even if they didn’t know it. One instance where a person walked into my life and changed my entire outlook on things is my dance coach, Jennifer. It all started when I signed up for jazz class at seven years old. I walked in and my teachers name was Bryan. He was (to say the least) not the best teacher around, he didn’t make dancing fun, and everything I thought the class would be it wasn’t. As a couple of weeks passed and I was about to quit the class, a woman walked in and said she’d be taking over Bryan’s class because his schedule was too full, her name was Jennifer. She became my role model immediately making dancing everything I thought it was, she even pushed me to perform, something I was never prepared to do. Little does she know that if she hadn’t of walked into my life at that point in time, I might’ve never gone after my passion, as I continue to dance competitively today. Finally, my senior year I got the opportunity to teach a freshman class and it was an amazing experience. I took on the role Jennifer played for me and gave it to the girls younger than me. They were my inspiration and I was even able to motivate one particularly special girl to me to try out for the dance team. I believe Jennifer came into my life to inspire me to inspire others.

People can have an effect on you after years of knowing them, or in the first minute. My dad took me to a blues concert in San Francisco to see a guitarist named Coco Montoya (someone who I’d never heard of ) he is an amazing guitarist and that show opened up my eyes to the beauty of music. Afterwards I had the pleasure of meeting Coco Montoya, instantly he became a very close friend of mine inspiring me by his words of wisdom. My family and I follow him and his tour as often as we can. So whether I’ve known someone for years or randomly met a famous blues artist, everyone who has walked into my life has left a special mark. People have come into my life to serve me inspiration, happiness, sadness, even pain, but from all of those experiences I’ve learned a key value, and that is that there are no coincidences in the people you meet in life and everyone has something to offer.