Isabel - Stamford, Connecticut
Themes: gratitude

I believe that if everyone helped a little bit there would be no more poverty in this world. There would be no more children dying because of famine.

About five months ago I went to Peru with my family for my sisters wedding. During our stay we went to visit the town where my mother was born and had grown up in. As we drove by a few rundown houses I saw that there were people in these homes. I asked my mom “What are they doing in there?” she replied by telling me that these were very poor people and that they lived there. I was surprised I never knew that there were people actually living like this.

The more I thought about them the more I though how we take everything for granted. When we finally got to the museum we were going to tour we waited at the front of the museum for a couple minutes before we went in. As we waited a small girl about 6 or 7 years old came up to me. She was dressed in a raggedy pink shirt and a dirty pair of blue shorts. Her face was dirty and she looked sad. She asked me if I had any change. I took out my wallet and gave her all of my change. When she saw what I had given her she smiled real big like she had just won a contest. As she walked away she looked back and smiled.

I haven’t forgotten the look on her face ever since. This experience taught me to be grateful for everything I have. I will never forget that moment in my life.