Brandon - Danville, California
Themes: environment

This Green Thumb of Mine

Acknowledging a belief system requires an evolving thought process based off of the events life has to offer. What I believe and how I came to theses beliefs is shaped by the life experiences of which I repeatedly identify myself with. As a young adult entering a world full of uncertainty, I have found that one of my most revisited thoughts is camping as a child in the Sierra Nevada; the biggest playground California had to offer me, full of campsites, streams, lakes and mountain ranges. I feel that camping early on in life helped shaped my identity today and also aroused passionate beliefs on the preservation and protection, the environment desperately deserves. My concerning awareness about how humankind is negatively affecting everything in which I grew up to love is guiding me through the path of life.

However, in today’s way of life, it is hard to take the necessary actions towards a healthier environment. Everyday my beliefs are tested with the misfortune of polluting the air. I simply cannot go about my rapidly paced life forced upon by society without the use of gas and oil. I have no other alternatives of getting to work and school on time. It is my own catch 22. Getting an education to better the world I live in while worsening it by attempting to do so.

In order to preserve the environment which I have grown to love, I believe it is my duty to pursue an education focused entirely around the future and best interest of the environment. I have grown up influenced by the outdoors, hybrid cars and concerns involved with global warming which have all manifested the green thumb within me, guiding me to becoming a young adult with more questions then ever before. Therefore, my educational goal is to strive towards the involvement of solving some of today’s most pressed environmental concerns. I believe in having a keen awareness about today’s most urgent problems facing humankind and acknowledging the responsibility of taking positive action towards them.

There are such great problems within this society with no easy solutions. The government’s perilous path in the Middle East, is proving there will be no authoritarian action taken towards these necessary steps for a greener world. Therefore, I believe it is up to the individual to ease into more environmentally friendly lifestyles. On a small scale we can take large steps towards adapting greener practices. Changing light bulbs, driving hybrids and planting more trees are examples, to name a few. While the Whitehouse seeks out oil reserves in the Middle East, I want to be seeking out the answers to water and air pollution control, recycling, waste disposal, or even alternative fuel methods.

With that said, my plan for the future is to receive positive affirmation through whatever path I end up taking in my career. Being an environmental engineer or even studying environmental science and striving towards preserving and protecting the environment is the direction I will be taking soon. Believing in taking the necessary action to stand up for the basis of my belief system demonstrates the assertiveness I will be applying throughout my life.