Brittany - Palm Beach Gardens, Florida

I believe that driving is a privilege and that realizing your own faults is often hard, the greater challenge is fixing those faults.

Two car accidents, two speeding tickets, and two warnings all happened in slightly over a year. When I got my license on the first try at the DMV the little old lady who passed me said I was an excellent driver. I, with my big ego, believed I was too.

It was a dark and dreary night; the roads were slick with perspiration. I was nervous as a new driver. After driving a little ways I found myself heading to the PGA Bridge and noticed the large amount of bob’s barricades and caution tape. Many people would think that it was a crime scene but I will leave you with your own convictions. I believe a number of young drivers are unaware of the dangers of wet roads; and being a young driver I was unaware. As a result, I slipped in their perspiration and they dashed me against the side of the bridge and naturally right into oncoming traffic. I was sliding, hopping, bouncing, and the roads were laughing with glee at my terror; or maybe it was just the sound of tires screeching. We filled out a police report and I was left with the memory of my car being towed away. I could not believe that I had my first accident.

The car was fixed, and years later along with many tears, I arrived upon the Acura RSX. Picture a bright, blazing orange beam of light shooting down the interstate. I was having the time of my life. How in the world did the cops see me? The lights began, and that sound, that horrid sound, you know that sound WEOUWEOUWEOU. I rolled down my window, and the officer asked me if I knew how fast I was going. He told me he clocked 95 miles per hour in a 70 zone. He returned and told me that I could have killed somebody, and then preceded to hand me the hefty $300 ticket. I slowly drove home and my parent’s wrath begun. Oh how the grief set in. I believe this was the point where I truly wanted to change my driving habits.

A few days later, my parents confronted me about my driving habits. I believe this driving situation was not a joke it was something serious to them and now to me as well. I had a choice, to change or have my car sold. Through all this I began to change, and I believe that it was the best thing I could ever do for myself. When you have done something wrong once, it is hard to believe that it was your fault. Fixing your own faults tends to be the hardest thing of all.