Erin - Danville, California

This I believe…

I believe in personal responsibility and that all of our choices make us who we are and determine our fate. Life is full of choices, unfortunately the best decision isn’t always clear, and we often rely on gut instinct to do what is best. Personal responsibility is making the better choice and taking control of your own life to decide who you want to be.

I have struggled through my teenage years with this concept, and only recently have I been able to grasp the idea of taking responsibility for the choices I make. Through my college application experience, I developed a greater understanding of personal responsibility and realized the hard way that it was too late to change the past.

I began applying to colleges I wished to attend, and began realizing that odds were against me with regards of being accepted to a “good” school. I have always had high hopes of attending UCLA or SDSU; however as I sent in my applications I knew that my grades and SAT scores were not competitive enough to even be considered. By this time it was too late to work harder, and I knew that I would not be attending the college of my dreams after all. The college application process not only devastated me, but also made me wake up and realize that I had to start working harder if I ever wanted to get into the school of my dreams. My uncle often tells me, “the harder you work; the luckier you are”. I now know that not getting into the college of my choice had nothing to do with luck; it had everything to do with my lack of hard work.

We all make mistakes in our lives, but I believe in learning from them and using them to prevent the same mistake in the future. When you take responsibility, you have no one left to blame for things that go wrong but yourself. In order to learn from our mistakes, we must first admit them. I fully blame myself for not being accepted into my college of choice.

The choices I make in the next two years of my life at community college will greatly affect my future. I believe that if I work hard enough and make the right choices that I will be successful and all of my dreams will come true. This not only applies to my own life, but to our society. If someone takes control of their life, and does everything to their best ability by utilizing all available resources, they can accomplish anything they desire.

Word Count: 435