Mike - Baltimore, Maryland

I believe in common courtesy. Specifically, common courtesy at the movies. This may seem like such a trivial and unnecessary thing to believe, but I think that the ads prior to the show do not do a decent enough job of stopping people from making every movie I see a less than enjoyable experience.

Seriously, I pay ten dollars to see these pieces of entertainment in an effort to get out of my own head for a while and venture into a fictional world full of interesting characters, twist endings, and other cinematic plot devices. How am I supposed to do that when the regular me is constantly annoyed by the rest of the people around me?

Now when I mention these people, I am not talking about the usual movie-going distractions. If a cell phone goes off (as long as you don’t answer it in the theater and chat to the person on the other end) I remain unfazed. Going to the bathroom, the sounds of eating, or normal, uncontrollable reactions to the movie are generally fine in my book.

What I am talking about is the complete lack of respect for all the people in the theater and the human race in general. I feel as though if some other alien race were in the theater with me, they would completely lack any sort of respect for our race after experiencing such cinematic annoyances.

This really happened to me. I was seeing Frank Miller’s 300 in Baltimore City. Now do not take this as a slandering of the city itself. However, this one guy, should he read this, should feel slandered. During the sex scene involving Leonidas’ wife, Queen Gorgo, and the influential politician, Theron, someone in the audience decided to add his own commentary. In the scene, the Queen used her womanly wiles to convince the politician to ask the rest of the leaders to send aid to Leonidas. Theron essentially forced himself on her, to which our fellow theater-goer belts out a homosexual slur aimed at Theron (a man), implying that he is gay, despite his having forced sex with the Queen (a woman).

This baffles me in two ways. One, the character being labeled as gay is clearly just the opposite. Although there is potential that the actual person may have had questionable sexuality as many Spartan men did, in this case, he is clearly not gay. Two, if this is how you feel, why must you subject the rest of the theater to your ignorance and bias, as this person clearly had something against the behavior of those in the group that he labeled Theron.

The moral of the story is that not only should you keep yourself free of ignorance. But if you feel the need to act out in a theater full of people who paid money to get away from such obnoxious real-world behavior for a whopping 117 minutes, please save your ten dollars. This I believe.