Tanner - Cheyenne, Wyoming

I believe in home cooking. I believe that nothing will ever taste as good when you buy it from a store. I have a tendency to scoff at restaurants attempts to advertise home made dishes. Though they may be delicious, they lack a certain flavor that can only be brought out when it is cooked at home. There is a magic in those little three by five cards that comes to life through you. The conversations about everything and nothing while washing the dishes are absolutely priceless. It is passing on a legacy that will be remembered for generations.

I didn’t always think that this was the case. I remember many nights when my brothers and I would plead to go to the local burger joint to eat. I have become wiser in my eighteen years. I believe that if something can be made at home, it should and it will always be more satisfying. There are times when a trip to a restaurant is needed, if for nothing else than to remind you of how good you can get it at home.

The legacy that is continued in home cooking is a long standing one. In the three by five cards that my grandma gave to my mother there are thousands of memories that I get to become a part of. Cold mornings greeted by the smells of cinnamon and brown sugar rising from a strudel cake, the grease on my chin from fried chicken and corn on the cob in the summer, and countless others have all become part of me.

This is not limited to my home alone. All throughout the world and throughout history families have been passing down recipes. I believe that it is essential in building the ties that bind the generations together. It is one of the things that bring families together. Over the holidays, we gather at various locations around the world, but there is always one thing in common, home cooking. I believe in taking nothing and creating a master piece of flavors and textures that is unique to you and those that you love. I believe that nothing in the world can compare with moms cooking. I believe that there are more family ties in a made from scratch batch of cookies than you can shake a spatula at. I believe that as long as there is home cooking in this world, people will be coming home and families will be stronger than ever.