Brittany - Pacific, Washington

I believe that no matter what the circumstance, you should never take life for granted. Always look up and see the bright side when things are bad and always cherish the good times. I believe you should not dwell on the negative parts of life, because if you’re looking for the negative in someone or something you will find it.

All my life I have always concentrated on the dreadful situations instead of what could have made me happy. My childhood was not good at all. As a kid I was always moving around and never had a stable place to call home. My mom, step-dad, brother, and I didn’t spend much time together as a family because my mom and step-dad were always out selling and doing drugs. And when they were home they were always fighting. At all my schools the kids made fun of me for not having cool clothes or shoes like them and they were always commenting on the bruises. All this negativity really got to me and pushed me closer and closer to bad things. After seven years we saw the last of my step-dad and even though he wasn’t the nicest guy it still hurt because he was the only dad I ever knew until my real dad came back in to the picture. Being a single non-working young mother, my mom didn’t know what to so with us. So we ended up living with my aunt and uncle. Things went well for a while, but it didn’t last long. My mom went back to her old ways and I was left to be the mom again. In seventh grade everything really started to build up, the stress, pressure, and responsibility. So I quit going to school and got into doing bad things. In April of 2005, I moved in with my grandma and that is when I finally started looking at all the good things I had in my life and realized I was not heading down the right path. I kissed my mom goodbye and didn’t know that is was the smartest decision I had ever made.

In the end, I know that my life has been full of negative things, but I am glad it was because out of all the bad situations there were good lessons learned. It taught me that life isn’t always great but you shouldn’t let it get you down and you shouldn’t take it for granted. I believe you should always look for the good parts of everything and they will help you through the bad. I did this by keeping my head held high and believing that everything was going to turn out okay. I believe life isn’t something to be wasted or taken for granted. This I believe…..