Leigh - Knoxville, Tennessee

I believe in the power and vibrance of classical music. I believe in listening to a classical piece just because. I believe in appreciating the history woven into the lines. I believe in the shivers someone experience upon first hearing Beethoven’s Ninth Symphony. I believe in searching for more pieces which inspire that feeling.

In some ways, an appreciation for classical music wass inevitable for me because I come from a family of classical music enthusiasts. My father’s father enjoys classical music more than anyone else in the family. Though his musical interests have changed throughout the years, he still keeps his classical cds close at hand. Sometime in his childhood, my own father also learned the value of classical pieces. He played cello for many years, and while he gave that up once he started college, in order to pursue a career in medicine, he still preserved his appreciation for the music.

Growing up, I heard plenty of symphonies, concertos, and sonatas, but they meant nothing to me whatsoever, except perhaps the approach of naptime. I failed miserably to comprehend why anyone in his right mind would listen to a tedious, never-ending sonatina instead of country, my previous music of choice. Then, however, I heard part of several ballets, including “Swan Lake” and the ever-popular “The Nutcracker”. As an aspiring ballerina at the time, hearing music which told a story was a breakthrough. My father dabbled in other pieces, trying to find more which might intrigue me, but he was unsuccessful until I entered high school.

With the advent of high school came the dreadfully dull keyboarding class. Fortunately, our sympathetic teacher agreed to let us bring in cds to help pass the time as we typed. After I exhausted my own collection of pop rock music, I turned to my father, who presented me with none other than Beethoven’s Ninth Symphony. Some call it a classic, some call it mundane, but I was hooked. In European History, I learned the stories behind some of the composers and piece I was playing and learned about new ones previously unfamiliar. I also dragged my father out in search of Beethoven’s Fifth Symphony that year. Classical music had finally come to life for me.

I believe that, despite a shrinking fan base, classical music still has the power to move people. I believe that classical music has a power which cannot be explained in words, a power evident only in the rhythm, the sound, and the passion. Perhaps in fifty or one hundred years, classical music will be virtually unknown. To me, though, classical music is aptly named and will never fade away completely. I believe in the energy of classical music, an enduring genre not yet ready to disappear.