Crystal - Macon, North Carolina

I believe in the power of prayer.

I started going to church at an early age and I learned the importance of prayer. As a child, I didn’t experience any major family tragedies. There was one that occurred, but I was too young to understand what was happening. We had our share of minor problems, but we prayed about it and our prayers were always answered. Everything in my life seemed to be going perfect and then one day, my grandmother became ill. She was in and out of the hospital all the time. I wanted her to get better, so I got down on my knees and prayed. I asked God to help my grandma make it through her illness and to stop her suffering. She got better and all those bad thoughts of me losing her went away. Once again, prayer had brought my family through a difficult experience, or at least that’s what I thought. My granny became sick again. This time it was worse.

I had gone off to college when she was re-admitted to the hospital. I was in my room doing my homework when my best friend knocked at my door. She said “Crystal, your grandmother is really sick. Your aunt just called and said we need to come to the hospital.” I was worried, but I tried not to panic. I just remembered how God had brought her through the first time and I began to pray. I remember the same prayer going through my head over and over again as my best friend drove me to the hospital. I just kept saying, “Lord, please help my grandma. Please take away her pain and help her feel better.” When we arrived at the hospital, my entire family was present. They were all sitting around her bed, praying and crying. I couldn’t bear the sight of everyone crying and my grandma lying in the bed helplessly, so I walked out. About 20 minutes later, I had built up enough courage to go back into her room. When I entered, I saw my grandma take her last breathe of life.

I was angry at first and I asked why God let this happen to my granny. I had prayed so many times for her to get better. My best friend and I had a long conversation about it and she helped me to realize that God did answer my prayers. My grandmother’s body was getting old and it was time for her to leave that body behind. God gave her a new body, one that is flawless. I believe that she is in heaven with him and that she is not suffering at all. I wanted my grandma to be free of pain, and God made her pain go away. She no longer has to suffer. God did answer my prayers, it was just in a way that I wasn’t used to seeing and I needed some help to realize it. I believe with all my heart that prayer does change things!