Marcilina - Dayton, Ohio
Themes: afterlife

“I Believe In Life after Death”

Sitting on a hospital chair, I knew my name. I could recall most of what had happened. Yet, I was not the same. I was changed. I now experienced sights, sounds, smells, tastes, touch and feelings through new eyes, ears, nose, tongue, skin and mind.

The diagnosis was a life threatening reaction to antibiotic medication. When admitted, I had watery pus sacs in my mouth, around my eyes, and a 105.5 temperature. Within two days, the watery blisters covered me from head to waist. On day three, with the temperature normal the blisters sloughed off, leaving large raw areas. By day eight, the temperature spiked to 103.8. I had pneumonia and a blood clot in my leg. Exhausted from the pain, I told the doctor, “Its ok. You can let me die. I am not afraid to die.”

It happened instantaneously, the separation of mind from body. My next memory was of depth, substance, clarity, illumination without physical light and circular motion without loss of balance. I felt absolute euphoria. Imagine your greatest joy never ending. I knew existence without the flesh. I was one with that which I was within; a part of the whole and I knew what the whole was. I did not want to “go back”.

Waking to physical consciousness, almost two weeks had past that I could not remember. As my body healed, my mind recalled the spiritual healing. Where had I been and come back from? Now I valued things freely given. The feel of cushiony soft pine needles, laughter of children, beauty of flowers, the smell of fresh cut grass, the ocean’s ebb and tide. Day forty, I had healed enough to go home.

While studying the reproductive system, as I prepared for the nursing board exams, I remembered the question, “Where had I been and come back from?” Where is life I wondered, before the sperm fertilizes the ovum? I considered other “living” things. Animals reproduce by conception. The process of pollination creates plants. What seemed to be the common denominator is that, in order for something to live, something must die. Our existence requires it.

Nature’s cycle witnesses to life after death. In spring, the grass grows, trees and flowers bud. By summer, all are in fruition. In autumn, their glory fades. During winter, they die. Spring begins the cycle all over again. Energy which is neither created nor destroyed.

I believe our energy; our animated part succeeds death; not physically so, but spiritually so. Physical things testify to spiritual things. Romans 1:19-20: “…invisible things…are clearly seen…understood by…things that are made …”

Where is the place I had come from? I had come from everlasting spirit. I witnessed true salvation, eternal life dwelling in the only begotten Son. I. John 5:11: “And this is the record that Yahweh hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son.” I do believe in life after death.