Krystal - Elizabeth City, North Carolina

Overmedication of Children

I work in a pharmacy and everyday I see many prescriptions for children. When I say many prescriptions I do not just mean antibiotics or medications for chronic illnesses. There are so many children in the world today taking Attention Deficit Disorder or Attention Deficit and Hyperactivity Disorder medications. These medications are narcotics, a controlled II substance. I have seen some children taking two or three different strengths of one drug. A few times I have even seen where they are taking a couple of different names, for instance Adderall and Ritalin.

I know that some children really do need to have the medication. I also understand that children may need the medication during school, basically for the teacher’s purpose. But there are a lot of children taking these medications all day every day. I have even heard some parents mentioned that if their child does not get their medication before too long they might kill them. I know that the parent does not really mean this, but it is still not right. I believe that parents should get their children involved in extracurricular activities to allow them to release some of their energy. Make them go outside and play instead of staying inside and watching TV or playing video games.

When I have children I will try my best to keep them off any medications like that. If it comes down to them having to take medication I will only let them take one, during school. On weekends and when school is out I will deal with the problem.