Violaine - 82721, Wyoming

I BELIEVE IN SOLITUDE AS THE NECTAR OF MY DREAMS AND A MORE PROFOUND UNDERSTANDING OF OTHERS

I believe that solitude can be the catalyst for a deeper understanding of ourselves and others. We all have a cocoon where our imagination can transport us away from the sometimes harsh realities, allowing us to float on clouds amidst storms of confusion, anger, sadness, or frustration. It could be a deserted plain, a mossy forest, a mountain after the first snow, the melting expense of the horizon into the ocean. Personally, it has always been the peaceful calling of the wilderness of nature.

When I think back of my confusing teenage years, I remember looking forward every year to our family vacation by the sea. Although I have to admit it was not so much the family togetherness I was craving for since I took it for granted in those years, the peace I found looking at the Atlantic Ocean off the coast of Brittany filled my spirit. My most cherished times were sitting on a sturdy rock looking at the waves. Somehow I felt safe looking at the ebb and web of the water mirroring the rhythm of my moods, my spirit roaring far away as I pierced into the horizon. As the darkness fell, I could sink deeper into the meanders of my soul, thus finding quietness to refresh my outlook on life.

Later in life, I understood how that early experience stayed with me. I would find comfort in the ebbs and webs of the Pacific Ocean, when I lived by the San Francisco Bay, progressively regaining my peace of mind. When I moved to a quieter place, as I was ridding my car on the deserted roads of Wyoming, where the distances from one point to another would bottle the mind of any French city dweller, I wondered how a Parisian-raised woman cherishes those open spaces. I lay down in the grass looking at the sky in awe of its majesty. I touch the roughness of a pine tree’s bark and marvel at the thought of generations after generations admiring the same tree, children’s attempt to climb all the way up into its spidery arms, weathering storms, growing stronger every spring. Mesmerized by the beauty surrounding me, I listen to the wind compelling me to follow my dreams.

Then I realized that I can find that exceptional peace anywhere. Closing my eyes and filling my spirit with untamed sceneries, I feel serene. As harmony enters my body and mind, I can meditate and empty my spirit of all conflicting ideas. I believe that solitude helps me to tackle on problems in a fresh light, confront conflicts with a new view, peruse my dream with an invigorating outlook. Solitude helps me thrive to become a better person so I can serve others in a more constructive, compassionate, and loving way.