Ricardo - Waverly, Tennessee

06 February 2007

This I believe……

I believe in America. This place I’ve called home since 1963. Onto whose shores I came, not speaking a word of English. A country who welcomed me with open arms, who taught me her language, who gave a sense of right and wrong, a country who represents what’s right with the world. A country who offered me possibilities and the means to get there.

This I believe……

I believe in America. The home of the Free, the land of the brave. A place where people stand up and reach out when others are in need. Not because of obligation or moral duty, but because that’s what you wish others to do when you’re in need. A place where people don’t shrink from danger, or a call to arms. But instead, step up and face it head-on.

This I believe……

I believe in America. A place of honor, sacrifice, commitment and personal courage. A place where citizen soldiers respond to a call to duty. Where wives, who’ve surrendered their husbands to serve our country, follow them on tour buses to mobilization stations, so they may say their last good-byes. A place where computer technicians, nurses, paramedics, policemen, mothers and fathers respond to a nation’s call. A place where toddlers go stoically, holding back tears, not truly comprehending why Daddy’s going, as he goes off to war. To fight for the very same freedoms many here take for granted.

This I believe……

I believe in America. A place where if you have the desire and drive you can achieve your dreams. A place where your life is what you choose it to be. A place where you may come and go as you please, without fear or travel papers.

This I believe……

I believe in America. A place where a man, a teacher with a degree in music, a father with a family, five children and a newborn, joined the US Army in hope of becoming an officer. Who after completing basic training and AIT, just prior to entering OCS, is disrupted to be deployed to Iraq for the first time with his unit. And now, with his youngest child barely three months old, is about to be deployed for the third time, instead as an NCO and not as the Officer he’s hoped to become. But doing so just the same, out of a sense of duty and honor to the institution and country he loves.

This I believe……

I believe in America. A place where a woman barely 5 foot 5, a mother of three, a paramedic in Nashville who looks like she should be a soccer mom driving a mini-van to soccer practice on Saturdays. Instead, she is a US Army Reservist, a recipient of a Bronze star, who has now volunteered for a 2 year tour of duty in Iraq out of a sense of duty and personal sacrifice.

This I believe……

I believe in America. A place where a financial analyst of 38, who is recognized and nationally published, leaves his comfortable suburban Washington life style, drops his successful chosen profession to enlist in the US Army and become an Explosive Ordinance Disposal Officer. Who despite his shortcomings, and failures and whatever challenges were presented, perseveres until he succeeds in his new chosen profession. Why? Out of a sense of loyalty, honor and selfless service to the country he loves.

This I believe……

I believe in America. The beacon in the night. The harbor in the storm. The home of John Wayne, good guys and Superman. The yardstick by which the rest of the world measures itself. The counter-weight to all that’s wrong with the world. The measure by which will be measured unto us. My home, the united states of America.

This I believe……