Meredith - Bath, North Carolina

Meredith Tankard

CDFR 4313

Dr White

Parents are the Key to the Future

I believe that parents hold the key to the future. The choices that we make have far reaching consequences, either positive or negative, for the present generation and generations to come. The daily grind of life, along with societal pressure, often threatens to distract me from my personal calling, motherhood. Yet I know that if I set my mind on achieving this goal to the best of my ability, I can make a lasting impact on the world.

Dirty dishes, unending loads of laundry, and sibling disputes can be grueling at times. Sometimes I wonder, “What’s it all for?” Many have questioned my choice to stay at home with my kids and concluded that I lack aspiration. They find my current resume unimpressive. Don’t think I haven’t wrestled with these same thoughts myself. Society’s alluring promises of success and self actualization hold great appeal. Yet for me, I’m not convinced I could manage all of the available roles and not let this vital relationship slip in some way.

The window of opportunity I have to make a lasting impact on my children is so small. I feel such a sense of urgency to pour into their lives. I want to teach them about kindness, compassion, faith, and all of the other values I hold dear. I want to be the one who is watching and cheering them on in all of their “firsts”. I want them to know that they are valuable and have a purpose and a calling as well.

When I see one of my kids reach a goal they’ve set for themselves or place the needs of another before their own desires, such gratitude rises up in me. I’m so grateful that I get the awesome privilege of witnessing their life stories unfold firsthand when not all moms even have this as an option. It is in these moments that all of life’s daily hassles fade into the background.

One day I hope to pursue all of the other dreams that are nestled deep in my heart. Yet even if that never happens, I know that the time and energy I’ve sewn into my children’s lives will not be wasted. I am impacting the world in my own way.