omar - Arlington, Virginia

All the things I believe in: I believe that there is a god. I believe that people are naturally good. I believe if you put your mind to it, anything is possible. I believe that it is better to try and fail than to not try at all. I believe that minimum wage should be more than $5.45 an hour. I believe that the war in Iraq is an abomination of what true American values represent. I believe that whether you’re democratic or republican or neither, that all we truly want is peace in the world and security at home and to continue in Iraq is denying the people both. I believe that the youth of today are not only the leaders of tomorrow, but also the voices of today. I believe that constructing a fence on our borders is a waste of time and American money. I believe that all the people should vote and that unfortunately we still have persons who believe their votes do not matter. I believe in public education. I believe that respect is not given but earned. I believe the price of gas should fall. I believe that I will see a black president or a woman president in my lifetime. I believe that through adversity, true champions are made. I believe that people can change. I believe that America is the land of the free, not the land of persecution and accusations. I believe that if an immigrant to America works hard, does not commit any crimes, and gives to the economy; they should be treated on the same level as immigrants who commit murders, traffic drugs, and take away from the U.S. economy. It just isn’t right. I believe that the American should know the truth, no matter what the consequences.

These are only some of the things I believe in. I am an American citizen. I am only 17 years old, yet I have already experienced and seen many things that some people haven’t seen in a lifetime. They call me a minority, but it’s the minorities on which this country was built on. The pilgrims came over to America because they were not allowed to practice their religious freedom, yet today in America, not matter how much we have achieved people are still judged on their appearances; be it skin color clothes, or surrounding peers. I believe that my generation has the power to change this, but only if they’re willing to try.