Callie - Greenville, North Carolina

Getting a pet is a decision that needs to be well thought out. It is important to research the pet that you want in order to decide if it is the best choice. A pet is a lifetime commitment that requires a lot of love and attention. Sometimes you get a pet that is well behaved and has few medical issues, but sometimes you end up with one that requires an unbelievable amount of attention and has multiple medical problems. These medical problems not only require a lot of time and effort but can involve a tremendous amount of money.

I got a dog when I moved to college. He is the first pet that I have ever had total responsibility for. As a puppy he was good but as he got older he became extremely demanding. When he was six months old he was neutered. Then it was discovered that he had a hernia, and he ended up having two surgeries. Around two years of age he began having seizures. Since then he has been on Phenobarbital. He will continue to take these pills for the rest of his life. On top of this he has had a few other minor medical problems. This was something that I was not prepared for when I made the decision to get a dog but, I had no choice but to take on the added responsibility and make the best of a bad situation. Even if I knew then what I know now, I would still have made the same decision to get Jack because he has brought a lot of joy into my life and I love him so much.

Getting a pet is a decision that should not be taken lightly. People need to be prepared for the pet possibly having medical problems as well as the being demanding. A lot of times people get an animal and realize it is too much for them so they just let it go or take them to the animal shelter. To many animals that would make great pets are being euthanized because the shelters are running out of room. This would not be the case if people genuinely put a lot of thought into the decision to get a pet.