Richard - Greensboro, North Carolina
Themes: children

Though I’ve never had children of my own, I firmly believe that children, all children, know more than the rest of us: adults with years of experience and understanding. Kids just know… and they will let you know, if you just listen to them. And that’s what I love about them.

As an example: I call them little Kodak Moments. Those brief moments in time when something happens that causes you, as it did me, to remember a singular event, in all its colorful detail, forever on the printout of personal memory.

I was visiting a friend of mine, Allen Wilkinson at Lake Junaluska, North Carolina one July afternoon, sitting on his front porch enjoying the beautiful lake and the surrounding Blue Ridge mountains. Allen’s three year old grandson Matthew was there with us too. Allen was dutifully keeping Matthew for the day while his mother, Meleta, Allen’s youngest daughter, was away at the hospital giving birth to her second child. It was then that the Kodak Moment took place (click) and became indelibly etched in my memory. Suddenly, the phone rang, Allen went in to answer it and soon returned to the porch to announce the news that Matthew had a new baby brother, and his name was Alec. That singular joyous moment was made sheer genius by Matthew’s immediate response to the news. He soulfully looked up at his grandfather and I and said in a clear emphatic voice: “…well crash goes my little kingdom.” Well, I laughed so hard I almost fell off of the porch.

Don’t tell me children don’t know. I believe they know full well what’s happening in their little world and the immediate one around them.

Out of the mouths of babes come the darndest things. Children sometimes speak, in their simplicity, more wisely than their elders. Art Linklighter, the renown CBS daytime TV host, knew that very well and shared it countless times with American audiences for years.

Yes, I believe those Kodak Moments each of us encounters throughout life, like all good photographs, are to be collected and enjoyed and shared with others. Children are indeed God’s blessings to all of us. And if we look and listen to them closely, I believe that pure objective awareness will be shared with all of us. Children know that too.