Melissa - London, United Kingdom

Revealing Myself. I believe…

For much of the time our true self is hidden from our sight, like an underwater formation that is only revealed when the tide goes out. From time to time, I face up to something difficult and this is the equivalent of the tide going out –my true self is revealed to me, but not for long, because the tide always comes back in again.

The tide goes out whenever I choose to do something that I know to be good, or make something that I know to be good, right, valid. This is an act of love and it ‘s the creative process – the use of the consciousness to reveal to myself the truth that is me.

These glimpses of myself are important, because when the tide is in I’m hidden from view, so I have to hold an image of myself in my mind. The more often i get a glimpse of myself – that is to say, the more often the tide is out – the more enduring that image becomes. I see this as the business of striving to be myself – to ‘self-actualise’, to create. It is in doing good and doing beauty that I can achieve what King Cnut could not.

When I arrive at a point where my image of myself is so well known to me that it is, effectively, never obscured from view, then I will have achieved being.

I will be able to say ‘I am’.

As consciousness evolved, it brought with it Homo Sapiens, and fire. Like fire, consciousness can be destructive. But I believe in my consciousness as a force for good.