Three Core Values of Success … for Business or Life

Tom - Cincinnati, Ohio
Age Group: 65+

Tom Nies, the longest actively serving CEO in the computer industry and recognized with Bill Gates and Steve Jobs as one of the “pioneers of the software industry” by the Smithsonian Institute.

“I believe that to be successful, people and organizations must act with character, competence and commitment. As a successful person, employee or employer, these core value traits are essential minimums.”

I’ve learned along the way – almost 40 years now – while dealing with thousands of people and businesses all over the globe, that certain core values are fundamental to success … in business or life. All three have to be present. Not one can be missing, or success, even if achieved in some manner, will be fleeting.

Experience has consistently taught and surfaced these three traits over and over, year after year:

* Character,

* Competence, and

* Commitment.

It requires character to act on our beliefs, competence to achieve goals and commitment to see them through.

How best to describe them?

Character

• Ethical integrity and a fundamental spirituality

• An emphasis on seeking solutions, not casting blame

• An open environment where honest communications are encouraged and honest differences of opinion are allowed

Doing the “right thing” is a demand we must make of ourselves.

Competence

• Commanding knowledge – thorough knowledge of everything germane and relevant to the task at hand

• Creativity

• Decisiveness

• Initiative for self-growth

A truly disciplined person or organization continues to learn and consistently apply the best methods to achieve goals

Commitment

• Commitment to one’s group, the company and to one’s fellow citizens

• Responsibility and personal empowerment

• Encouraging people to grow and empowering them to do so

• Promise to do what has been asked and pledge to provide whatever assistance required to meet commitments.

To be successful in life, persons and organizations must act with character, competence and commitment in a harmoniously orchestrated environment that energizes all and synergizes everything. As an employee or employer, these core value traits are essential minimums.