Alice - Flat Rock, North Carolina

It was the last evening of spring 2007. We relished the warm and lovely North Carolina mountain environment we sat on our deck visiting. The conversation turned to travel. Gene and Linda had been to China. They told about seeing the Terra Cotta Soldiers and cruising the Yangtze River.

“Did your trip to China have any connection with your granddaughter?” I asked. Little Jade had been adopted from China a couple of years ago.

“No,” replied Linda. “But we did visit an orphanage in Lhasa, Tibet. Someone there told us that there are over 400,000 orphans in Tibet and China,” she said. “It’s sad that most of these children will never experience one-on-one parenting.”

Linda was near tears as she described the messy, dirty five-room building in Tibet that housed one “Mom” and 90 abandoned children. About 25 of them were under five years old; the others ranged in ages up into their teens.

Linda’s heart was touched by the children. “They seemed happy and loved,” she said, “but how can one woman give them the spiritual, emotional and physical nurturing they need? There just weren’t enough hugs to go around. The little ones would cling to “Mom” wanting more.”

Linda’s emotion touched me deeply and I found myself responding at five a.m. the next morning when I awakened writing in my mind to Linda describing ways to love these children. I firmly believe that we have an unending supply of love that is continuously replenished as we share it. While the Tibetan orphanage Mom may not have knowledge of this, her love expands each time she nourishes one of her little ones.

Children gravitate of anyone who will give them a loving embrace. There are millions of orphans around the world who hunger for hugs. We can provide for these kids by intention and direction. Just as prayer and healing are sent long-distance, so too can hugs, kisses and loving thoughts be sent.

When we sit quietly and visualize hugging a small child, the energy of love wells up within us. We might see ourselves rocking a baby to sleep or tucking children into their beds and kissing them goodnight. We could sing sweet songs to them. With intention, our love will reach children who need it regardless of where on earth they live.

People like Linda and Gene who have visited an orphanage, have actual images of children to work with when sending long-distance love. The rest of us have the dramatic photos of homeless children we see in newspapers and on websites. It doesn’t take much to call up such an image and respond with love.

Loving all of the children of the earth makes me feel optimistic. Things seem grim in the world these days. But, just think — if we all shared what we do best – love our children, it could make a significant impact on the future of the world. That’s what I believe.