Lisa - Johnson City, Tennessee

This I Believe . . .

Last week as I stood in line at my new library, a woman owed $4.50 in late fees for one of the “Little House” books. I turned to her and said, “It’s so worth it for that book!” As a child, I loved reading about the adventures of Laura and her family as they headed into the wilderness to survive on luck and love. Three weeks ago, I had moved myself, all my worldly possessions, the cat and a dozen or so houseplants 600 miles in a Penske truck, the modern day version of an oxcart. When friends and family asked “How did you pick the place you’re going to?” and “Who do you know there?:” I searched for a proper answer, but was left with “It was half logic and half intuition. I picked a place on the East Coast, within a day’s drive of my college aged son and my parents. It’s in a gorgeous mountain setting, with good weather, and a growing economy. I’ve never visited the area and don’t know anyone there. But once I decided, I really felt propelled in that direction.”

Before virtual real estate tours, online city data forums and the information highway, how did our ancestors know where they wanted to go? Did they roam as far as their vehicle, horse, or legs would take them, then set up a homestead when their stamina and resources ran out? How did the early settlers do it – casting themselves towards the west without knowing where they’d finally land? Or, my great grandparents, coming to America as a last ditch effort towards a better life, not knowing the language, the customs, the outcome. Was it a logical decision, or, did these explorers feel powerfully propelled towards the place they ended up in, as I did?

This I believe…that home is wherever you are in the world. That life is too short not to go where your heart leads you. That old friends will continue to keep company wherever we end up, and that I’m on the way to meeting new friends. As it turns out, the librarian is the little sister of a good friend back “home”.