Carol - Halifax, Virginia

This, I Believe

I believe the principle upon which our nation was founded that all men are created equal;

I believe the mandates of our constitution that all our citizens are entitled to equal protection of our laws;

I believe that most other Americans prescribe to the notion that everyone should be treated equally and fairly and if fully-informed, Americans will make the right choice of fair treatment of others;

I believe when our citizens, courts and legislatures accept the findings that 2-10% of our population is gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgender;

when we acknowledge the psychological and medical evidence that being born non-heterosexual is like being born left-handed, a minority trait that a person cannot change;

when we appreciate the fact that non-heterosexual people want to have committed relationships and families, including children and grandchildren, and that 30% of them live in such committed same-sex households;

when we accept that non-heterosexual citizens are productive and contributing members of our communities, and even if we do not know it, are our brothers and sisters, sons and daughters, neighbors and co-workers;

then we will afford these citizens the full rights and protections of our laws.

I believe that Americans want to do the right thing toward others and when we know and understand the sexual orientation issue, we will stop our discrimination and vilification of these talented and gifted equals who deserve our acceptance and respect.

I believe that courts and legislatures in every state will give our non-heterosexual population the rights and obligations of marriage, the privilege to adopt children and have families, and that we will celebrate those non-traditional families.

And I believe that we will look back at anti-gay marriage amendments, exclusion of gays in the military, and other intolerance of gays and lesbians, like looking back at slavery and segregation, at the time before women could vote or own property, at the internment of Japanese-Americans during World War II, and say “What were we thinking?”

I believe Americans, hopefully sooner rather than later, will do the right thing.