Quang - West Palm Beach, Florida

I believe that recognition is the best reward a student can get.

When I was in elementary school, I did not bother to pay much attention to my teachers. I did not care much about my grades or my learning. Back then I thought school was just a place where parents put there kids when they went to work. I received grades good enough to pass. I never repeated a grade.

My fifth grade teacher Mrs. Dinger putted me in all regular class for sixth grade. I did not know there was a difference between regular and advance classes. I do not know what happen but I started to care about making good grades. I became obsess with getting my work done and doing well on my tests. I could not believe my eyes when I made straight A’s on my report card. At the end of the year, I received several awards like Top 5% and Perfect Attendance. I was so proud of myself that I kept up the good work for the next two years of middle school.

Now I was in high school. My classes gradually became tough. I was in all honor classes my freshman year. Things were not looking so great. I just moved. It took some time to get settled. I was not off in a good start, but I did well. I was now in the Top 10%. I was embarrass. I dropped. I had to buckle down and get serious. This was a turning point in my life because from then on I wanted to perform my best so I can be recognize by my peers, my teachers as well as my parents. I loved school from then on.

My sophomore year was one of a kind. I became more competitive than ever. I did excellent in my work. My peers and teacher started to recognize my hard work and I got plenty of compliments, especially from my parents. Those compliments were like fuel to car. It was just what I needed to get pump. Toward the end of the year, I got a paper with my rank. I was shocked. I was still in the Top 10%.

Frustrated about my rank, I had to take AP courses and more honor classes. To my surprise, it was quite easy. I made more A’s than I ever had in my life. Those studying day and night paid well. I had no job. I just focused on school. It brought my GPA up. The award ceremony was my night to shine. I received several awards to satisfied me. I got standing ovation for an award I received for one of my AP class. I blushed when I got the award.

All my hard work, I hope I will make it to the Top 5% and received graduation cords. I want to be able to sit in the front row. Hopefully, I will receive some scholarship for my academic excellent.