Darel - Hartford, Connecticut

This, I believe. Da’Rel J. Eastling

Challenges and/or obstacles in life are a given. However, the size and frequency with which we are faced with them are unknown. I believe that it is not the challenges one faces in life, but the way in which they react to those challenges that defines them. I believe that it is acceptable to take a hit, as long as I give back two. I believe there is not an obstacle in existence that can stop me. Those things are temporary. Fighting through them builds the confidence to face what’s next. There is no formula, other than going through, over, under, or around the obstacle to get to the other side – by any means necessary. I think that avoiding them, when possible, is best, but being prepared to stand up when my name is called is mandatory.

I believe that success can be found in one’s failures, it may take courage to look that hard, but it’s there. I believe that what I present to the world is what I will receive in return. Be it something as simple as being respectful to a family member, co-worker, customer, or a stranger on the street, it comes back and lasts longer than one would think. I believe that honesty, with myself before others, gives me the confidence to make tough decisions – and stick with them.

To some, the sayings “You reap what you sow.” and “What goes around, comes around.” may sound cliché, but I believe that if you live long enough, you will find that they apply and have validity. I have. I believe that stress is self imposed. I do not count on tomorrow being available for today’s work to get done. I prefer to ask forgiveness, not permission. I believe that actions are more important than words. I believe that family is the most important possession one can have.

At the end of the day, I believe that life is simple. What keeps me going every day, are some core beliefs. I have shared with you a few. In the few years that I have been on Earth, I have come to realize that some days are better than others, but every day above ground is a good one. Act accordingly.