Emily - Georgetown, Texas

I am the type of person that reads inspirational quotes and stories for motivation. During my senior year, my English teacher had assigned our class to read A Message to Garcia which was an inspirational essay about business culture written by Elbert Hubbard. After I had read his essay about being out in the work field it made me nervous. What if I turned out to be the type of person that he was telling us not to be? The type that couldn’t handle everything that they were given. Later, I found a quote written by Hubbard that stated, “The greatest mistake you can make in life is continually fearing that you’ll make one.” I loved seeing this quote by the same author because Hubbard’s motivational essay suddley changed my perspective of his message. I could be one of those individuals that would be successful despite the fact that I was indeed going to fail. I believe that making mistakes come with living our lives. I believe mistakes occur so that life can teach us something new, therefore we should not fear them.

Given, I am also an individual learning from past mistakes that I have made. Recently, I’ve learned the consequences of being mislead. I currently have a lease contract pending in my name for the upcoming year. Although I did not physically sign nor was I approved for this apartment I am still held financially responsible, because I am of legal age. Although I feel the leasing agent did not do her job of making this process clear, I understand that this was my mistake. From this I’ve learned that people will try and take advantage of your situation and that it is important to always understand exactly what you are agreeing to.

I’m aware that some mistakes are worse than others. Regardless, my belief remains that mistakes occur so that life will teach us something new. I must rely on my good judgement and upbringing to stear me away from the bad mistakes that can be devastating to ones life. I hope the mistakes that I make are ones that I can recover from without endangering my life or anyone elses. I feel that since this is my first year of college, I’m prone to making more mistakes because now I am awarded more responsibility and freedom. However, I don’t want the inevitable mistakes to keep me from any opprotunities that will come my way.

I strive to be one of those individuals that Hubbard describes in A Message to Garcia. I will be successful, despite my failures. As I progress to my second year of college, I will continue to make mistakes. When I graduate from college and begin my career, I will make wrong decisions. When I think about my future, I will not dwell on the mistakes that I’m going to make because I know I have the potential to learn from them. I believe that making mistakes come with living our lives. I believe mistakes occur so that life can teach us something new, therefore I do not fear them.

http://www.quotedb.com/quotes/4144

“The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually fear you will make one.”

–Elbert Hubbard