william - saint clair, Michigan
Themes: family, gratitude

I Have Been Blessed….This I Believe

I had a great time in grade school and high school. A good deal of people that I talk with didn’t have pleasant experiences. Not me. I love it. I also loved the college years from undergrad to the graduate levels. Sure I worked full time and went to school full time. That was okay. Still enjoyed every minute of it. . I have been blessed. This I believe.

I have been blessed. This I believe. My parents were both wonderful and caring people that truly loved me. My dad was inflicted with Parkinson’s and died when he was 56 years. His mobility was limited; his ability to hold a regular job was not possible. He was a patient and warm man and he shared his love openly. We always kissed and hugged in the morning and before I went to school. I have been blessed. This I believe.

My mother lived to be 91 spry and healthy years. The day she passed was the only day that she was ill. Mom went to the ER that day, but insisted on returning home, where she passed. Ma worked all of her life. Retired at 65 to work at church functions and church bakeries and cooking with the ladies at the church white house. She read her prayer book every morning and every evening before bed. She loved to sing. Whenever the occasion arose and she created many of those opportunities. Always smiling, even through the difficult times. Ma had a number of miscarriages. A baby that died at six months and a child with Downs before I was born to her when she was 40. I am been the prodigal son. . I have been blessed. This I believe.

My sister Anna, a special person with Downs lived to be 71 years. She was always happy. She inherited that disposition from my parents. Anna loved unconditionally. She had a smile etched on her soft round face with twinkles in her eyes. She would always ask if “Billy loves Anna?!” She taught me, all of us about love and patience and smelling the roses. I have been blessed. This I believe.

I have a son, Christian from my first marriage. Christian was raised by Diane, his stepmother and me. Diane accepted him and loved him, unconditionally. She worried about him to the last day that she was with us. He has two wonderful girls. My grandbabies. They live in England. I visit them at least twice a year. I loved to be with my grandbabies and hear them call me Dedo. I have been blessed. This I believe.

Diane lost her battle with breast cancer in she was a helper. She was compassionate, dignified, and a counselor/mentor to everyone that sought her help. She never refused. She was 56 went the battle ended her life. We were married for over 25 years. We truly loved each other. Diane died in my arms on the 23rd of December, 2002. She hugged me, kissed me, and said that she loved me. Then she left. I have been blessed. This I believe.

I have recently asked Gilda to marry. I believe we have found love again. We share similar journeys. Enjoy the present and value the future. I have been blessed. This I believe.

To be continued. This I believe.