Tamara - Capitol Heights, Maryland

As we grow older we learn to appreciate where we came from. We realize we have to take a stand in our lives and choose a direction. All of things stem from how we were brought up. There are lots of things you learn as a child but don’t really understand until you are grown. When my mother told me not to tease other children, I didn’t understand it. I liked to tease others, it was fun. Until it happened to me and I didn’t like it at all. I then realized how it felt and I choose not to do it to others anymore. I believe in treating people like I want to be treated myself. When you know how it feels to be treated unfair, why treat someone this way. In my adult life, I believe learned the gratification of instead giving a stranger a compliment. You never know how you can make someone’s day just saying something nice to them. I can remember when I was five and was shopping with my family at the local Kmart. I found flower seeds and found it fascinating that a little seed could make such a beautiful thing. It may have only cost 10 cent but I thought no one would notice if I took it. Well when my mother found out that I took it she was furious. She marched me right back in there to return them. The store manager and her played good cop bad cop until I was in tears. That day I learned not to steal. Now, I believe in justice. If you commit a crime you should be punished for it.

I remember a time where I did not understand the importance of school, now I know that

Knowledge is the key to succeed in life.

If you don’t believe in something you will fall for anything. I believe in having respect for your elders. They have paved a foundation for us to walk in so treat them with the highest honor.

I believe in standards. We should all have a point where we will decide for ourselves where will either stay and/or move. I believe in Family. They are my lifeline and the reason I strive to be the best at everything I do.