Fear or Excitement on the First Day of Class?

Gildardo - santa maria, California

It was my first day in college and I had no idea of what to expect. I was extremely nervous, but excited at the same time. Not knowing my way around or where my classes could be, provided me with stress and anxiety. At the same time I would think about all the new people I would meet and how my life was about to change. It took me a while to get to my first class, because the campus was a little more complicated than high school. So, I looked at a map to guide me in a more specific direction, which then leaded me to building C. My fears and emotions had attacked my inner system all at the same time, but I had no idea that it was only the beginning part of my adventure.

Driving on my first day to school was like turning eighteen because I had no idea of what to expect. It started with me having trouble finding my classes. I had no map and did not know where any buildings were located. Then, I realized that I was running late and still I had not found any of the classes. College campus was nothing like high school, being accustomed to being simple like a house; college was like being in the empire state building. After that I began to feel stress, sweaty, tired and with sweaty hands. That reminded me of how my hands felt after riding my bike for more than 20 miles.

Meeting new people was always exciting, but in college I knew it would be different. I felt like I was smelling garlic because I feeling nauseas, from the thought of how my first impression would be like. The first thing I noticed was the age and how some of them were even older than the instructor. Though meeting people was fun, I enjoyed when I had people I knew in class. There were people from different races and majors. Meeting all these different types of people was like traveling around the world.

During my first days in college all I could do was compare the differences between college and high school. I had much more responsibilities and much more was expected from me. Another issue was all the expenses. Paying for books, classes, and parking without financial aid, was my biggest shock. I felt like a fish without its water. Also, being without my friends, which were usually always with me felt like I was starting all over again.

Though my first days in college were confusing and stressful, I was able to get over it. Slowly I grew used to my new surroundings being that we are humans and adapt to any environment, came to be true this time. I completed my first semester with a 3.0 GPA, which made me realize only the first days are like that. I now realize how college isn’t just general education anymore but the beginning of my future in life. So, even though sometimes we feel like days can’t get any worse, they always get better and in turn shape us for our future and ultimately make us better persons for the better or worse.