Giselle - San Antonio, Texas
Themes: death, family, legacy

My Grandfather

I believe in holding onto special moments in life. I lost my grandfather to cancer six years ago. He lived in another country with my relatives. Despite the distance, our bond was strong. When we would visit he would turn the house upside down. My uncle called to tell us that my grandfather’s health was not good.

My mother immediately planned a trip to go see him, but my siblings and I would not be able to go. I went to my room feeling helpless, that is when my brother suggested we send my grandfather a letter telling him everything that we would have wanted to share with him. I sat at my desk, staring at my sheets of paper, grabbed my pen, and realized that this was the most important letter of my life. What do you say to someone that you have loved all of your life, other than “I love you”? I did write those three precious words, but I knew that there had to be more. I told him my plans for the future, my hopes, and dreams. Knowing that this was the last time I could tell him anything I decide to thank him for all the special moments we had shared. I told him of the time we went to the beach, and he taught me not to have my back to the ocean. When I learned to swim he was there cheering me on. We would also sit at the table and eat fruits and he would tell me stories. I wrote about my 15th birthday, when he greeted me with a smile as I arrived to my party in a pink ball gown. I have a picture that was taken of us that night. He is smiling at me while having his arm around me. It is the most beautiful picture I own. Going to France one day was a big dream of ours. I told him that the day I go I would go to the top of the Eiffel Tower, and blow him a kiss all the way to Heaven. At that moment tears started rolling down my face.

A few days later my mother called with the news I had been dreading. My grandfather had lost his battle with cancer. I was in shock for about half an hour, and then I had the cry of my life. Before he passed away my mother read him our letters. She said that he wanted me to, “continue painting, finish school, and to keep learning foreign languages”, so far those have been the most precious words ever said to me. Tears rolled down my face when my mother told me that. They kept falling, until three years later when I realized that these special moments were keeping him alive in my heart. As long as I kept his memory alive then he would live forever until the day we are reunited in Heaven.