Roselor - Laurel, Maryland

Everybody defines brotherhood or friendship differently. For me being friend with someone is being able to understand that person as a human, and somebody in whom you put your trust is something rare. It is rare because it is difficult to befriend someone without any competition in between; it is rare because it is difficult to trust someone with whom you share your deepest fears, and secret. Someone who accepts you as you are, and someone who is not trying to change you, but only want to help you to becoming a better person. Friendship is not being afraid to call your friend in the middle of the night because you are feeling lonely, or because you just wanted to laugh, friendship, is knowing that someone, somewhere, cares for you.

I believe that we are on this earth to help each other. I believe that friendship is as important as is family. A few weeks ago, a friend of mine was very depressed, did not know what to do because she did not pass the CPA board test. That night I called her and after talking to her, she regained the courage to laugh and once more, she forgot about her problems and told me that she was going back to study and get ready to go take the test again.

She expressed her thanks, told me how much she appreciates my calling because she received that call in one of the most difficult moment of her life. Ever since, she never stop thanking me, and when I ask her why, she said because I am her friend ,because I am the kind of friend that ones encounter once in a lifetime.

I believed and still believe that everyone can make a difference. I believe in friendship, the real friendship which has been proven, time and time again to be the greatest gift ever, similar to the gift of love. Life comprise of ups and downs, everybody at some point or another needs someone to talk to about the good, the bad and the sorrows, the uncertainties of life, a friend in those times could be a life saver.

My friend took that same test one more time and with great determinations passed with high marks. She called me at midnight subsequently, to tell me that we pass, she said “we” did because I supported her in her studies, called her almost daily to encourage her, we sometimes study together on the phone, she recalls that I was there constantly, even that morning when she went to take the exam for the second time and she said “we pass because I could not pass it by myself”. I did not let her down when she needed my help. “A friend in need is a friend indeed”.