Philomina - Laurel, Maryland

When my cousin, an officer in the United States Army, informed me that she was being deployed to Iraq, I had a myriad of feeling. I was proud that she is a worthy ambassador of the United States and I admired her courage and dedication to duty.

I was also afraid for her life. I know how much she is looking forward to becoming a wife and mother and I inwardly prayed that God would preserve her life to realize her dreams.

My cousin is the last of her parent’s six children, she was spoilt by her sibling and her parents made sure that she lacked nothing as a child. After her college education, she decided that her ideal job was one that instilled discipline; she picked up a part-time job, but continued to search.

When she announced that she would be joining the army, the question on everybody’s lips was “why?” Knowing how much she loved to sleep and her dislike for strenuous activities, everyone felt that it was a matter of time before she abandoned her “pipe dream” except me; I supported and encouraged her with the word of God. I became her closest confidante. Of course, she encountered many obstacles and there were times she felt like quitting. She would call me and we would cry and pray over the phone and she would be strengthened.

She completed her training and became an officer. She came to see me before her trip to Iraq. Needless to say, it was very emotional. I assured her that I would not stop praying until the day God brings her back to us, alive and well. It has been six months since her deployment and we have remained in constant touch via email. Sometimes, I try to visualize where she is and what she could be doing at that particular time. At such times, I sense a connection between her spirit and mine and it is as though my spirit is guiding hers away from danger.

About three months ago, I asked her if she was in need of anything but she said “Not yet”. For some reason, it slipped from my mind to ask her again. About two weeks ago, I had a dream about her which I interpreted to mean that she was in desperate need for a care package. The next day, I went shopping and mailed a box to her.

What really surprised me was that when she wrote to thank me, she confirmed that she was in dire need of those items but did not want to bother anybody. She was planning to patronize the small store they have in their base.

She went on to say that I bought the brand of toiletries she prefers, and is currently using. My mind went back to the times I was in the store buying those items. I was not sure of the brand of toiletries she is using. I asked the Holy Spirit to help me, and believe it or not, I started putting things back on the shelf and picking new ones.

I believe that there was an immediate connection between her spirit and mine and I was able to shop exactly the way she would have, if she had been in that store.

I believe that the Holy Spirit is with her in Iraq and will bring her home safely.