I believe in Oreo cookies

Miriam - lompoc, California

I believe in Oreo cookies

Up until a short while ago, I didn’t trust or forgive much; I had to learn the hard way to only trust in myself. I knew that it was the only way to not be disappointed in anyone or hold any resentment against anyone. However someone very dear to me showed me how simple it is to trust and forgive, and it gave me the courage to let myself trust and forgive others, too.

About two years ago, I had to baby-sit six of my younger brothers and cousins. I didn’t want to, I wanted to go shopping, so I came up with a plan; I would go shopping anyway, but this time I would take the children with me. Although I had a feeling I was in too deep, taking six little kids with me to the mall, I disregarded it. They were restless, yes, but I believed could make them listen. So I took them with me and left them in the toy store with the plan of going back for them in half an hour. I told Ami, who was nine at the time and the oldest of the group, to keep an eye on the rest of the kids while I went shopping in a boutique next door. I took longer than I anticipated; instead of taking half an hour, I took two hours to get back. Thankfully, they were all there, so I decided to take them for ice-cream. We were halfway home when I noticed something was wrong; I had five children with me instead of the six I had originally taken. Then it hit me; I was missing Maharai, the youngest as well as the only other girl with me that day. I was worried to death; she was only four and I had no idea where I had left her. So I retraced my steps. I told the rest of the kids that I had to find Mahari and that I needed their help, and fortunately, they cooperated. We ran to the mall and the first place we looked was the ice-cream parlor. Thankfully, we found her; she was sitting on a bench right outside the parlor, happily eating Oreos. I was so grateful; I hugged her really tight; not minding the ice-cream smudges and cookie crumbs all over her face and lap. She pushed me away and accusingly told me that I left her. I apologized. She looked at me for about two seconds, shrugged her little shoulders and said, “Want a cookie?” It was there that I knew she had forgiven me. I had lost her, but she had known and trusted me to come back for her. I was stunned; I couldn’t believe that she had forgiven me just like that. On the way home, I kept thinking how innocent she was. She couldn’t have possibly known what kind of danger I had put her in.

I learned that day that it so easy to trust and forgive. In the past, I had focused on the many times people had let me down, instead of the many times people have come through for me. A sweet little four-year old taught me to give people a chance. Now I know that to trust and forgive is the only way to be happy. My innocent little cousin taught that just by offering me a cookie.