Adayara - Santa Maria, California

I believe in a mother’s love

I was ten years old when, in search of a better life, my parents and brother left Mexico to come to the U.S.; Leaving behind my two sisters and myself. Although my grandparents loved us to death and tried to give us all we needed, it was not the same. I missed my mother, and all I wanted was to be with her. That’s when I learned the importance of a mother’s figure in a child’s life.

“Where is mom?” I asked myself every night before I would go to bed. “I want her to come back and tell me a story before I go to sleep.” I was too small to understand why my family decided to make that choice. At that age, my worries had only been about having a friend to play with, but all of a sudden, that had changed; now I was constantly asking for my mother. I felt lonely; I needed to feel loved by her. Oh! How I needed her hugs and kisses. Soon, I learned what responsibilities were.

As the older sister, I was expected to help my grandmother with the chores, as well as, to take care of my sisters. That little girl was no longer playing with dolls all the time; she was helping grandma wash the clothes by hand and braiding her sister’s hair before going to school. It was painful to see my three year old sister crying, and to hear her asking for “mama”. How could I help her feel better when I was hurting too?! I was doing adult’s job, but physically, mentally and emotionally, I was still a child with an immense necessity to be nurtured by my mother. Every day I wished for my mother to come back.

After two long years, the moment I had been waiting for finally arrived. My father went to our small town and brought us to the United States. As soon as I saw my mother, I ran up to her and hugged her. That was the longest hug I’ve ever given her. I didn’t want to let it go, nobody was going to take me away from her again. After a long conversation with tears on her eyes, she revealed that on her way to the U.S., she was ready to come home and give up her dreams. It was my father who convinced her to be strong and to remember that the sacrifice was going to be worth it.

It was not until I had my son, when I realized how big my mother’s love is. I personally, don’t see my life without my son. Yet, I want my child to have a better future than mine. I admire and thank my mother for her braveness, leaving us for two years and all for a better life style; is an admirable decision. To me, a mother’s love is the best way to feed a child.