I Believe in Taking Control

Alejandra - Lompoc, California
Themes: family, illness

I believe in taking control because it is something that everybody has to do at one point in their lives.; but they go through growing up in different ways, like me, when I least expected it.

I woke up around seven-thirty in the morning it felt as if a dark cloud was over my house and with it, a tremendous thunderstorm. The house had an eerie, tone like something dreadful was about to happen. When suddenly, I hear the same loud tone but with a twist, like it was bringing terrible news. I took a long deep breath and said “hello”, it was my dad with a worried, sad, and exhausted tone. He told me, my mom was in the emergency room and her health was in terrible danger. I asked him with, a little 11-year-old almost crying tone what he wanted me to do. He told me to get my younger brother and me to school and that he would call later. So, my brother and I got ready as soon as possible and went to school.

After the doctors operated, my mom she spent five days in the hospital. Doctors watched her like if she was an experiment gone wrong. I had already spent time at my aunt’s house, which felt like a prison because my mom was not there. My brother and I wanted to go home so I decided to take responsibly because it was time to grow up.

When I decided to take my mom’s routine of everyday thought the daily routine was going to be easy, but I found other wise. I didn’t really didn’t know how to do any of the chores in the house, and I found out that out quickly. After the five days in the hospital, my mom came home and I wanted to do something special so I decided to cook Mexican rice with chicken, but it turns out all horrendous. I tried to cook, but I put to much seasoning and the chicken came out all salty and my family couldn’t eat it, and then the rice turn all brown and black from the bottom the only part that could be eaten was the top. When my mom came, and looked what I had done she just replied and with a soft but proud tone and said, “you have just burn the rice”, but with a proud with a smiled said, “ay mom it was only my first time cooking”. But in that one moment I had realized that I had taken control and become independent.

After cooking a cleaning everyday I saw that I was growing up a little bit everyday, which made me feel more confident that if another emergency happen, I would be ready to handle it. But since my mom’s last condition she know that would be ready for anything because I took care of her and that’s a bond that we will share forever between me and her.